bbbart

The Brothers Karamazov
Konstantin Mochulski, Andrew R. MacAndrew, Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Private Empire: ExxonMobil and American Power
Steve Coll

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy #1)

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy #1) - Ken Follett After being completely enchanted by Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, Fall of Giants failed to mesmerise me as much. Follet's proven mix of rather different characters with intertwining lives set in an important, well researched, historical background still worked for me. However, in his previous historical books he used four main characters, whereas Fall of Giants follows over 5 different characters and families. I found that a little too much perhaps. The main characters also follow similar steps in their lives: forbidden loves, unanswered passion and babies... lots of babies. At first it bothered me, but then I realised that the Century Trilogy needs this at this point, as the next book will cover the lives of these newborns as main characters (again a trick the author played in his first two books, albeit as less important a theme then). Moreover, the book sometimes doesn't read as a novel, but as a political and/or historical school book.

Concluding, I really liked the book (4 stars), and I finished the whopping 800+ pages in less than 4 days. I'm definitely going to read the rest of the trilogy, but I hope the next book will be significantly different than this first one in the ways described above.